Amazon

Sunday 18 November 2012

West Ham Ladies midfielder Lindsey Morgan staying on until Ladies are promoted

During the summer of 2011, Lindsey Morgan decided the upcoming season would be her last and aimed to leave on a high with the West Ham Ladies securing promotion.

Fast forward to the end of the 2011/12 campaign and the Ladies missed out on promotion by the narrowest of margins, leaving the retiring midfielder devastated.

But a few conversations with manager Julia Setford and other experienced players in the Ladies’ squad and the 32-year-old decided to postpone her retirement for another season to help her side get promotion.

Mikey Cartwright/Ponderosa Pix

And this season, Lindsey has helped to spearhead the Ladies’ push for promotion, netting three goals in the opening seven matches.

“I stayed on because I think we are going to get promoted this season,” she told Blowing Bubbles. “The girls really want to do it this season and I think I would have been gutted not to have been part of our push for promotion this season.

“I have scored more goals so far this season than I did for the whole of last season and I feel like I am playing pretty decent stuff. Of course it gives me more confidence to be scoring goals for the team, but for me, providing assists for my team mates to score goals is just as important as scoring them myself.”

The goals scored by Lindsey has helped the Hammers grab ten early points from a possible 18 already this season.

And she knows that the beginning of the season will indicate where the team should be aiming for at the end of the season.

“It is massively important to get off to a good start in the league because the first few months are the foundation for how the season shapes up,” she continued

“Having a solid defence is also important, but the defending starts from the front. It is equally as important that we work together as a team.”

Lindsey rejoined West Ham United last summer from Millwall Lionesses, who she joined from the Hammers back in August 2009.

She continued: “This season we’ve got a few new faces and at the moment I feel we have a good mixture of experience and youth.

“In some games we’ve needed the older ones to take the game by the scruff of the neck and help give the younger ones some guidance.

“But the young girls in our squad have that desire and hunger to get stuck in and fight for the win and I think gives us a bit of an edge.”

She added: “I really want to stay until we get promoted because I feel like I’ve got unfinished business here because we’ve been so close in the past and I don’t want to go without helping achieve this.”

West Ham Ladies are next playing at home on Sunday, November 18 against Tottenham in the FA Womens’ Premier League
Southern Division The game kicks off at 2pm.

The Ladies play their home games at Thurrock FC, Ship Lane, Grays, Essex, RM19 1YN.

No comments:

Post a Comment